STEM Saturday Academy
Black Girls Do STEM is excited to invite you and your student to participate in our STEM Saturday Academy. Applications are now open for girls grades 6th-8th.
Scholarship | Training | Empowerment & Equity | Mentorship
STEM Saturday Academy is a 8 month, 40 hour program, covering integrated STEM career pathways, allowing mentoring with Black women in STEM as well as social- emotional learning topics curated by a LCSW. There are multiple field trips for students to learn on site in a STEM industry or academic environment.
- Cost: FREE
- Application submissions start in January of upcoming year
- Runs from February to October
- Time: 10am-2:45pm
- Meets once a month
- Covers ALL areas of STEM with our integrated curriculum focus
- Forensic Science
- Cosmetic Science
- Fashion Technology
- Aviation and Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Construction
- Agricultural Technology
- Personal awareness, confidence, and self-worth
- Occupational awareness and career exploration
- Personal development
- New students must be in 6th, 7th or 8th grade as of January 1st of upcoming year to sign up to participate in the program. Returning students can participate through 9th grade.
- To qualify as a returning student, you must have completed a full year in the STEM Saturday Academy (March-October) of a previous year. If you attended a one-off event such as a field trip, etc., please
complete this application as a new student.
- Applications are open January 1st and close March 31st
- You can join the waitlist any time after March 31st
- The program start date is March 1st. Site location details will be assigned and sent via email, after each application is received and accepted.
STEM SATURDAY ACADEMY FAQS
Is this program exclusive to African American girls and other girls of color?
How much does the STEM Saturday Academy cost?
Free. All program materials are based on funding from multiple sources including grants, private donations, and foundation funding.
What age range of girls are accepted in this program?
Girls grades 6th-9th. New students must be in 6th-7th grade on March 1st to participate. Once in the program girls can participate annually through 9th grade.
Are girls expected to attend all the workshops all year?
Yes, the STEM Saturday Academy runs 9 months out of the year we ask that girls and parents make a commitment to attend all monthly workshops.
What is the frequency of the academy?
Each site meets once monthly, on the designated Saturday for that site.
Please check the website calendar for specific site dates. Virtual option varies, details to be given at orientations.
Are girls allowed absences from the STEM Saturday Academy?
Yes, girls are allowed 2 absences max. At the 3rd absence students will be allowed to continue but will not be asked to complete the final assessment upon completion due to absence. We encourage girls to attend all workshops as the hours of instruction for each participant is critical to our model, evaluation and ability to secure funding.
Do parents have to attend the parent and student orientation?
Yes, the parent and student orientation is mandatory for students to begin the STEM Saturday Academy.
Will transportation be provided for students to the sites?
Yes, transportation will be provided on a site by site basis and must be communicated two weeks in advance of the workshop date for scheduling.
What is the location of the program?
There are four sites; site assignments will be made at the parent and student orientations in February of the respective program year. Please check our website calendar for exact Saturday’s.
Does the program include lunch?
No lunch is provided but a light breakfast and snack will be provided.
What time is the program?
The program takes place from 10:00AM-2:30PM at all community sites.
What school districts must students attend to participate?
We accept girls from all school districts within the St. Louis Metropolitan community.